Elk, Bacon & Mushroom Soup (dairy-free)
- 3 slices of bacon
- 2 teaspoons (6g/ 10 ml) garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion (55g/ 117 ml), chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (9.5g/ 7 ml) anchovies in oil, drained and minced
- 8 ounces (226.7g) ground elk
- 2 cups (140g/ 450 ml) mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoons (.67g/ 5 ml) fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoons (5 g/ 5 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (30g/ 30ml) white wine
- 3/4 cup (183g/ 142ml) beef broth
- salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium high heat until crisp. Set bacon aside. In the bacon grease, lightly brown the onion and garlic over medium-high heat. Add the chopped anchovies, and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Set the garlic and onion mix aside. Add the ground elk to the same skillet, and cook until elk is lightly browned. Set the elk aside. Add the sliced mushrooms, sage, mustard and the white wine, to the same skillet and cook the mushrooms until they are soft. Pour the mushroom mixture into a blender, add in the beef broth and the garlic onion mixture. Blend the soup until smooth. Pour the soup into a large saucepan and heat to preference. Add the cooked elk and crumble in the bacon pieces. Add salt and white pepper to taste. Smaklig måltid!
Base recipe makes 2 servings of 13.3oz/ 377.2g a piece.