Huevos Rancheros with Queso Fresco
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon (30 ml) poblano pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 ml) cloves ground
- 1/2 cup (118 ml) kale, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) queso fresco
Preheat oven to 425F/ 218C/ Gas Mark 7. Cook the onion, poblano and garlic with the coconut oil over medium heat until softened in a small cast iron skillet. Add the tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, and cloves and mix well. Add the chopped kale, cook for 5 minutes, stirring well and adding water if needed. At this point, if you aren't using an oven safe dish, put the spiced tomato sauce into an oven safe skillet or pan. Crack eggs onto the top of the tomato mixture. Salt and pepper to taste. Bake for 10-15 minutes until eggs are set to preference. When done baking, spritz with the lemon juice, crumble the queso fresco and serve. Buen provecho!
Base recipe makes 2 servings of (7.3 oz/ 207.3 g) a piece.