Jansons’ Temptation (Janssons Frestelse)
- 40 oz (1150 g) cauliflower (approximately 2 medium heads)
- 1 medium onion (110g) , sliced
- 2 cans (110g/4 oz) sprats, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml/ 238 g) heavy cream
- 1/4 cup (59 ml/ 56.75 g) butter, melted
- 1/4 cup (59 ml/ 60.25 g) beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon (2ml/ 3g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml/2.13g ) black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400F/204C/Gas Mark 6. Trim and destem the the two heads of cauliflower and slice them into quarter inch (.63 cm) slices. Either microwave the slices in a large bowl for 5 minutes, or quickly pressure cook them on high for 2 minutes.
Take the sliced onion, and a bit of the butter, and cook the onion in a skillet over medium-high heat until softened but not brown. Then, in a buttered 8 x 8 inch (20x20cm) casserole dish, layer the bottom of the dish with the cauliflower slices. Alternate this with a layer of cooked onions, a layer of chopped sprats, and continue the layers until the casserole is full. Combine the heavy cream, butter and beef broth in a cup, and season with ground pepper. Pour this mixture evenly over the layered casserole. Season the top of the casserole light with salt and pepper Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Smaklig måltid!